Planning and planting your dream garden is exciting and rewarding work. But dealing with unwanted pests can make the experience frustrating and disappointing. It helps to know a little about what plants attract certain pests and the garden pest control tips to avoid them.
Stop pests from plaguing your garden
There are more insects in your garden than we can even try and list for you, some of these you would not even know exist and are even beneficial to your garden. Many, however, are not. Here is a list of the top ten most common garden pests found in the Northern beaches and North Shore areas of Sydney, and some tips on garden pest control to help maintain a healthy beautiful garden.
- Azalea lace bug
- Cabbage moth
- Christmas beetle
- Codling moth
- Fruit fly
- Snails and slugs
What about DIY garden pest control methods?
While you may come across and battle with other varieties, these ten pests have been known to terrorise garden owners across Australia. There are some natural garden pest control methods that you can try at home which might solve your problem. However, if you’re looking at trying a DIY method first, don’t let the problem get out of hand as pests can completely destroy your garden.
- Simply prune off infected areas, and physically crush visible bugs.
- Use a strong spray of cold water to remove the bugs from the plants.
- Use a tomato leaf or garlic spray.
- Introduce methods to attract natural predators to help populations of the lace bug under control. some of these predators include lacewings, lady battles, pirate bugs, assassin bugs and predatory mites.
- Cover plants in mesh to avoid pests from making contact with plants.
- Companion planting is an effective method of pest control (planting certain varieties of plants together to help deter pests.)
Don’t let garden pest control slide
Ensure you keep on top of your garden pest control. Otherwise, you could be looking at serious damage to your garden and a hefty bill to have the issue resolved. For example, pests such as lawn grub can completely destroy your carefully cared for lawn with no hopes of rejuvenation.
Source: Caloundra Gardens
Let CC&M fix your garden pest problems
Spending the most of our time outdoors and in the garden, we have come across all these pests and more. We will happily help you create a garden pest control plan, to help fight these unwanted visitors and keep your garden flourishing. Contact Pat at CC&M Landscapes to learn more about our garden pest control services.